What it Means to Belong to a Church, Part 3, Being Present

When I was only 13 years-old, I damaged my knee in a sledding accident and I had to have surgery to repair it. I don't remember much about that day in the hospital, but I do remember learning that my youth pastor came to the hospital during the surgery to see how I was doing and to sit with my parents. I remember thinking, "Wow! He must really care about me because he came to the hospital to see me!" A phone call or get-well card would have been nice, but his willingness to take the time to come to the hospital in person made me feel very special and loved.

Being present is of central importance in relationships. It's how we show people that they matter to us. Think of the reasons why you go to your friend's party for her one-year-old. You go in order to show your friend that she is important to you. You show up because you know that you are important to your friend. It's the relationship that gets you there (although the birthday cake might have had something to do with it).

The importance of presence is the reason why God sent His Son to take on flesh and dwell among us (John 1:14). By taking such a drastic step to be near us, God demonstrated our value in His eyes.

We all know how important presence is in order to have healthy families, to have good standing at work, or to make the grade. Therefore, it makes sense that presence is also a critical part of belonging to a church family. 

For a few weeks now, I've been writing about the difference between just going to church and belonging to a church family. As we've seen, the difference is a matter of community and commitment. There is a depth of relationship which exists in the church family, so our personal presence as members is important if we are going to be a healthy church. 

Being a part of a church family means being there when the church family gathers. By this we communicate that the Lord and His people are valuable to us. 

Simply by attending worship, showing up to your small group, visiting a fellow church member in the hospital, being present at a ministry team meeting, showing up to help out at church-wide ministry events, attending weddings and funerals, coming to church fellowships or business meetings, visiting our homebound church members, and by being present at other church family gatherings, we communicate that Christ and His church are important and worth our time.   

Certainly, there are those who cannot come as often as they like, but for those who can, our presence is a critical part of our church being united, the Lord receiving glory, and our individual faith being strengthened. Being present is part of what it means to belong to a church family. 

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." Hebrews 10:24-25


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Growth Group #5, Discover Prayer

What Happens to My Tithes and Offerings After I Give?

The Weekend Plan, September 18, 2022